Meralco is the largest private sector electric distribution utility in the Philippines, with a market capitalisation of US$6.6 Billion. The utility covers 36 cities and 75 municipalities, with a franchise area of 9,685 square kilometers. While its coverage is just 3% of the Philippines’ land area, it accounts for 55% of the country’s electricity output.
The company’s digital transformation is driven by external and market forces, its 3Cs (Customer, Community, and Country). Meralco’s digital transformation encompasses 3 areas of initiatives: customer, grid, and enterprise.
- To address concerns on timeliness of meter readings, a Meter Reading App was implemented which optimized routing to ensure timely meter readings; eliminated re-reading with meter photo capture for proof; and reduced errors via notification for high variance in reading
- Real-time Payment Validation App prevented “salisi” service disconnection (happens when a customer paid after field crew has received the disconnection orders) for more than 2500 cases
- Contact Center Automation helped agents be more efficient in handling customers over different channels, featuring Virtual Customer Assistant which handled more than 200,000 transactions
- Modernizing telecommunications infrastructure to support distribution automation and to expand advanced metering
- Machine learning and data models improved hit-rates on maintenance of distribution transformers, protecting more than 180,000 customers and 130,000 customers from potential outages respectively
- RPA was implemented to increase workflow efficiency
Meralco will continue to maximize its data by converting these to insights – from dashboards to more advanced machine learning – and utilize these to accelerate efficiency and growth by facilitating data-driven decisions. Meralco’s workforce will be made ready for current and future demands of the business through the Citizen IT Program.